Lawyer for Dog Bites in Benton County Oregon
Below are relevant portions of the Benton County Oregon dog bite statute located at:
(7) “At Large” means a dog off the premises of the owner and not under the immediate control of the owner or of a competent person; except “at large” does not include exhibition in dog shows, obedience training or the use of a dog under the supervision of a person to hunt, chase or tree predatory animals or game birds, or the use of a dog to control or protect livestock or use in other related agricultural activities.
(8) “Barking Dog” means a dog which repeatedly and for prolonged periods barks, or makes other noise, without provocation which disturbs the peace and quiet of any nearby County resident.
(14) “Menacing” means any behavior by a dog which would cause fear of imminent danger in a reasonable person.
(18) “Owner” means any person:
- a) having a right of property in an animal;
- b) harboring an animal;
- c) having an animal in his or her care;
- d) acting as an animal’s custodian; or
- e) knowingly permitting an animal to remain on or about any premises occupied by the
(19) “Permit” means human conduct in relation to a dog which is intentional knowing, reckless, careless or with criminal intent.
(20) “Provocation” means any action by a human which torments or abuses a dog.
(21) “Trespasser” means any person entering on the property of another for an illegitimate
purpose or with criminal intent. Any person entering the property of another outside the
reasonable access area shall be rebuttably presumed to be a trespasser.
(22) “Vicious Dog” means any dog which has bitten or attacked a person without provocation. “Vicious dog” does not include a dog which bites, attacks or menaces a trespasser on the property of its owner or which harms or menaces anyone who has tormented or abused it.
9.205 Dogs At Large. No owner shall permit his/her dog to be at large.
9.207 Barking Dogs. No person shall own, keep or harbor a barking dog.
9.208 Vicious Dogs. No person shall own, keep or harbor a vicious dog.
9.210 Unprovoked Attacks Against Non-livestock Animals.
(1) No owner shall permit his/her dog to attack, without provocation, a dog, cat, non-commercially bred fowl, or other non-livestock animal of another person off the property owned or occupied by the owner of the attacking dog.
9.225 Biting Dogs to be Reported.
(1) The owner of a dog which bites a human being shall immediately notify the Health
Department or the Animal Control Division, and shall give the division the name and address of
the person bitten, if known.
(2) Any person who is bitten by a dog shall immediately notify the Health Department or the
Animal Control Division, giving a description of the dog and the name and address of the owner, if known.
(3) When a doctor, veterinarian or hospital employee has information that a person has been bitten
by a dog, such person shall immediately notify the Health Department or the Animal Control