Animal Bites

Animal Bites Portland Oregon Attorney

In Oregon, different statutes apply to dog bites versus injuries due to exotic animals.  See FAQ Exotic Animal bites

What am I entitled to if I am bitten by an animal? If you are bitten by an animal and the animal owner is liable under Oregon law or the law of a city or county, you are entitled to recovery of your medical bills, along with non-economic damages, commonly called “pain and suffering.” In order to collect, hopefully, you were bitten by an animal whose owner has assets, such as a home. Many homeowners have insurance policies that cover animal bites. If a homeless person’s boa constrictor attacked you, it is unlikely that you will be able to collect, even if you win. A tent and a dirty sleeping bag under a bridge is not going to compensate you for your injuries, regardless of how angry you may feel.

What should you do if you are bitten by an animal? If you are bitten by an animal, seek appropriate medical attention; find out who owns the animal; report the incident to the animal control agency in your county; then call me at (503) 238-1010. If the animal has previously bitten someone, I would also make a police report and ask to press charges. Occasionally, an owner of a known dangerous animal is criminally prosecuted by the district attorney’s office.

Coming soon are the locations of the statutes of various animal bite statutes around the state.

Multnomah County Exotic Animals

Clackamas County Exotic Animals

Washington County Exotic Animals

Linn County Exotic Animals

Lane County Exotic Animals